Winter is on its way out and spring is making its way in, and if you are invigorated by the spring cleaning bug, now is the time to sweep out the old, refresh what’s left, and welcome in the new! Spring is the perfect time for letting fresh air in; our psyches and bodies are ready for a lighter, vibrant energy and vigor after winter’s heavy, slower pace. And as part of this renewal, your mouth is ready for a revitalizing dental cleaning.
It’s Time for a Checkup
To remove plaque and tartar (mineralized plaque) your dental cleaning includes scaling and polishing your teeth. This procedure is vital, because you can’t remove hardened plaque with just brushing or flossing alone. Tartar requires special dental tools to remove, and when this step is skipped, tartar goes on to attack the gums and invite gum disease. So your checkup includes checking for: cavities, gum disease, oral cancer, and any other dental issues that benefit from timely treatment.
We will sweep your teeth clear of unwanted dental junk, similar to how you spring clean the old junk out of your home and your life. We will scrub away the sticky bacterial film (called plaque), hardened plaque (tartar), and any oral debris left behind from the food you eat. The result? Smoother, cleaner, and whiter teeth.
Tips to Spruce up Your Smile:
- Sunblock: Use sunblock SP15 (or more) to stop an outbreak of cold sores which can be triggered by sun exposure.
- Hydrate: With the warmer weather approaching, keep your cool by drinking lot of water, and if you prefer soda, limit consumption and use a straw to lower the acidic effect on your mouth.
- Nutrition: To have healthier teeth and gums, lean towards a diet that is rich in vitamins and minerals to help ward off gum disease.
- Floss: Plaque builds up under the gums just like the surface of the teeth, so you will need to remove it by flossing. Spring is a good time to make flossing part of your daily routine and avoid the ravages of periodontal disease.
- Toothbrush: The American Dental Association (ADA) recommends replacing your old toothbrush every 3-4 months, sooner if the bristles are frayed. Remember to brush your teeth twice a day for two minutes to get the most from your brushing.
- Smoking Cessation: It has been proven that smokers lose more teeth than non-smokers, and smoking also contributes to oral cancer, so use your spring energy to kick the smoking habit for a healthier mouth as well as a brighter smile.
If it is time for your spring cleaning, give our team at Generations Cosmetic and Family Dentistry in Tampa, Florida a call at 813-251-5740 and let us help you brighten your smile again!